Book in Review: Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen

7:02 PM

Title: Flipped
Author: Wendelin Van Draanen
Paperback: 212 pages
Published on: October 1, 2001
Publisher: Random House
Genre: YA > Coming of Age
Rating: 4.5/5 

Flipped was actually a book recommendation from a friend of mine, I think a year ago. She sent me an ebook copy of the book. At that time, I only read until half of the book, and watched the movie. I must say that the movie was also amazing! After watching the movie, I decided to read the book again and I was stuck in the middle of the story. Yesterday, we had a brownout for the whole day and the whole night. I needed something to do or else I think I'd go cray cray, so I browsed my ebooks and read the book until the end. 

When Juli Baker first set her eyes upon blue-eyed Bryce Loski, she fell in love. Juli was always following him around in school, which Bryce hated and he would do anything just to get rid of her. That's basically the pattern of both characters until eight grade. When eight grade came, there situation had been totally reversed. Juli finds Bryce as an arrogant jerk, while Bryce started to notice Juli on how brave she is, how pretty she is and all of her beautiful characteristics which he has never thought of before. 

Wendelin wrote a book told in two different voices and that gave us a wider scope of the events and a greater understanding of what was actually going on. Both the plot and character development really worked for me. You could really see the reason behind everything, and it certaintly won't leave your questions unanswered.

The story definitely had this creativity factor in it. I'm aware that there are also books that have a similar plot with this one, but I don't think anything can beat how great this book was. It would totally stand up, and based on my experience, it's unforgettable. 

If you have been reading lots of violent, gritty, sad ending books, etc, I highly recommend this book for you. It'll give you a sweet smile just by reading the first page. It's a breather and a break from all the intense books. 

Reread Factor?
YES YES and YES. I will definitely
read this again. The book was just amazing and cute. Even the movie was.

Favorite Quotes:
“Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss….” He turned to me. “But every once in a while you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”

“To be held above the earth and brushed by the wind,” she said, “it's like your heart has been kissed by beauty.”

“There was other stuff, too, like how something can be so much more than the parts it took to make it, and why people need things around them that lift them above their lives and make them feel the miracle of living.”

“Man, I'll dive after her into a chicken coop full of poop if that's what it takes. I'll ride my bike all the stinkin' way to school for the rest of eternity if it means being with her.”



Have you read Flipped? What did you think about it? Leave a comment! :) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi guys! Thank you for stopping by our blog. We really appreciate it if you've taken the time to leave a comment. Though it will take some time, we will do our best to reply to each one of you. :)

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Stalk Us

2015 Reading Challenge

2015 Reading Challenge
Kimi has read 3 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide